Water, as vital as it is for life to exist, can cause significant damage if not dealt with care. Water damage can occur when excess water begins to pool in places it isn’t supposed to. Hence, water damage prevention becomes important. Let’s understand why water damage is a problem and how to avoid water damage.
Why is it a Problem?
There are too many adverse effects of water damage than meets the eye. When water creeps into unwanted areas, it can cause a lot of harm. Water damage is often responsible for the discoloration of your beautiful walls. There are plenty of causes of water damage in homes such as pipe leaks or a leaking kitchen sink.
And all of these leaks and water damage can make your home a breeding ground for mold colonies. If not addressed in time, water damage can weaken the structural integrity of your building which can cause severe hazards. It is time we have a look at the 5 best tips to prevent water damage at home.
5 Best Tips To Prevent Water Damage At Home
Water damage can cost you a fortune if you don’t take it seriously. Here are the top 5 tips that will help you to prevent water damage at home.
1. Cleaning out roof gutters: A gutter clogged by dead leaves, branches, twigs, and other items is not an ideal solution to effectively get water off your roof. This can cause water to pool on the roof and there are chances that this water can creep into your home’s foundation. It is important to carry out water removal from home otherwise it can cause severe structural damage.
2. Checking appliances regularly: If you want to avoid leaks and water damage, then it is advised to regularly check appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers. The ideal approach is to inspect hoses at least once a year. They should be replaced if you see any signs of deterioration such as cracks, corrosion, or bulging. Using steel braided hoses is a better option to prevent water leakage as they are stronger and less likely to succumb to deterioration.
3. Not letting the pipes freeze: Winters and water pipes are not the best combinations. When pipes are exposed to cold, ice blocks can form and that can severely damage the integrity of pipes. When damaged, pipes may release water that will cause damage to the walls and give a breeding ground to mold. Drain the pipes before the onset of winters and prevent the pipes from freezing.
4. Take care of the plumbing: This is one of the most important tips. Good plumbing ensures that there are no leaks in the house. In case you notice any leaks, make sure to carry out the necessary repairs as soon as possible. The little details can make a lot of difference. Never pour grease down your kitchen sink. Always use a drain snake to unclog rather than using chemical products that can damage the plumbing.
5. Planning the landscaping with care: It is a wonderful idea to carry out landscaping at your place but it is also important to keep in mind that some trees have invasive roots. And such trees should be planted away from the water lines. Also, ensure that the ground around your house slopes in the right direction and water flows away from the foundation of your house.
These 5 tips mentioned above will surely help you to prevent water damage at home. But in case you still have such problems, it is best to approach a professional water damage restoration company. And who better to do the job than Kings Restoration. We are the finest water restoration company in Dallas, Texas, and offer the best services to keep your home free from water damage. 4.