A homeowner takes pride in the way they maintain the beauty and decorum of their home. But if there is something that can annoy them is unwanted mold growth. If left unattended, mold can spread contagiously and cause bigger problems. But what is mold and how are they harmful to the interior and exterior of your home? Let’s dwell deep and find out.
Mold belongs to the fungi kingdom and is usually found at places where moisture is in abundance. When found in the wild, mold is helpful as they help in the process of decomposition of dead organic matter. However, they are not a welcome sight when they find a place inside your home.
They are notoriously known for causing health hazards such as skin allergies, sneezing, dizziness, headaches, and even asthma attacks. It can be very harmful to children and the elderly, especially those with pre-existing respiratory problems. But what are the common reasons for the occurrence of mold? Let’s have a look.
What are the Common Reasons for Mold?
There are a few elements that are the primary reasons for mold growth. They are listed as follows.
- Moisture: The biggest factor that mold thrives on is Moisture. Be it a highly humid household or a slightly damp one, mold can prosper in any conditions if moisture is present. The cause can be associated with minor plumbing leaks that went unnoticed.
- Lack of Sunlight: Mold often targets dim-lit places to spread as exposure to direct sunlight can be harmful to their existence. It is not possible to get sunlight into every part of your house and mold takes advantage of this fact to find breeding places inside your house.
- Optimal Temperature: temperatures inside most of the households range from 70-80-degree Fahrenheit and this acts as the ideal breeding ground for molds. Humidity levels above 60 percent can cause mold growth to rise exponentially.
Here Are the 7 Best Ways to Get Rid Of Mold
Mold is capable of rotting surfaces that they occupy and causes health hazards if left unchecked. Here are the top 7 ways on how to get rid of mold.
- Limiting exposure to Mold: First things first, keeping yourself safe from exposure to mold and mold spores should be a priority. It is highly recommended to wear an N-95 mask to avoid inhaling mold at all costs. Goggles and gloves are equally essential to safeguard your eyes and hands respectively.
- Preventing Mold: The objective is to make your place a less friendly habitat for mold to grow. To get rid of mold, you need to make sure that your place has proper ventilation and appropriate exposure to sunlight. Indoor plumbing leaks can cause extensive growth of mold due to an increase in the level of humidity. Using a dehumidifier to reduce the excessive moisture proves to be helpful in such cases.
- Removing Mold: Mold removal is one of the best ways to get rid of mold. Scrubbing off mold from hard surfaces can be done with the help of detergent and water. For porous surfaces like drywall, using a rag is recommended to prevent surface damage. If you are looking for home remedies, Diluted vinegar works equally well.
- Natural Mold Cleaners: You can create a natural mold cleaner by using some commonly available household items. A mixture of one cup of bleach mixed with one gallon of water acts as an effective mold cleaner. Just apply it on the surface but don’t rinse. A 50-50 solution of ammonia and water is required. Apply it to the mold-affected area and rinse it after 2-3 hours.
- Removing mold outside the house: External mold is as dangerous as the mold inside your home. They can eat away the wood and corrode the external surface of your house. If left unchecked, external mold can easily work its way inside. A 1-to-10 solution of bleach and water is required to scrub off the exterior mold. Taking precaution while using the solution is required as you must don gloves and eye protection while carrying out the procedure.
- Using hydrogen peroxide: Most of us have hydrogen peroxide solution present in our medicine cabinet. This solution helps to kill the mold effectively and prevents it from coming back up to an extent.
- Cleaning up after Mold Removal: It is highly recommended to dispose of the rags that you used for mold removal to stop them from breeding again. Wash all your clothes that you were wearing while the process of mold removal with mild detergent and hot water.
To get rid of mold growth inside and outside of your house, Mold remediation is the best way to move forward. And that’s why we at Kings Restoration offer the best mold remediation services. Our team of skilled professionals offers the best mold inspection and removal by following the best industry-approved methods to provide you with a mold-free environment.
Some Frequently Asked Questions about Mold
How long does mold remediation take?
The process depends on several factors ranging from the amount of mold present to the type of material contaminated by mold. All things considered; the process usually takes between one to five days.
How can a mold test kit help you get rid of your mold?
Mold test kits are very useful as they help you to identify the locations of a mold outbreak. The test kit determines the result to be either positive or negative. You can send the positive samples to a lab to know how to effectively treat the mold.
What are the common areas for mold growth?
Places with a lot of moisture are likely to promote mold growth. The most common places are the bathroom, kitchen, laundry room, basements, and any other place facing pipe leaks.
Why do we need professionals for mold remediation?
Professional mold removal services identify all the mold at your place and have the proper equipment for mold removal. Professional mold remediation is a quick and efficient process as it helps you to prevent future mold growth too.