What is Home Mold?
Mold, also known as mildew, is basically a fungal growth that develops on wet materials, especially materials that are organic in nature. Decaying woods, wet, and warm areas are some of the most common surfaces on which mold can grow.
However, it can also grow indoors on walls, roofs, books, toys, and just about anything. Mold can prove to be quite damaging for your home and therefore needs to be strictly dealt with from the help of professional expertise.
What are the Signs of Mold in Your House?
For home mold removal, it is very important that you recognize the early signs of mold infestation.
Here are the signs of mold growth that you must be aware of:
- The central air conditioning or heating system starts emitting a musty smell
- You have an exacerbation of your allergies and asthma problems
- The wallpaper starts to peel off
- There are mold spores all over the wall
- You have a constant cold that refuses to go away or wheezes in your lungs.
If you encounter any of these early signs of a mold infestation, you should immediately get the affected areas checked by an expert.
What are Some of the Common Types of Mold in Homes?
The most common types of mold in homes are Aspergillus, Cladosporium, and Stachybotrys atra. Aspergillus is perhaps the most common type of fungus found in homes.
These typically grow on food and on air-conditioning vents.
On the other hand, Cladosporium looks like a greenish or blackish pepper-like substance that grows on the back of the toilet and on air ducts.
Finally, we have Stachybotrys atra that is black in color, also referred to as black mold, and causes a variety of severe health problems, such as difficulty in breathing, sinusitis, fatigue, and even depression.
Here are the 7 Things that You Need to Know About Removal of Home Mold
Mold cleanup requires experienced professionals who know how to clean up mold spores and more importantly, prevent them from ever returning. Here is the process followed by mold remediation companies:
- The experts follow all safety precautions. These include wearing disposable clothes and shoes. They also set up fans in the work area in order to ventilate the room.
- Next, they seal off the mold-infested area with a plastic sheet or other material and then start their work.
- If the mold is within wall surfaces, then they open up the wall and remove all the contaminated parts in a careful manner.
- Next comes the cleaning of the contaminated moldy area. Once the area has been thoroughly cleaned, it is time to place dehumidifiers so that the area can be dry.
- They may also use other appropriate chemical agents to prevent the mold from coming back.
- After removal, the mold-infested debris is put in a double-layered plastic bag and disposed of immediately.
- Finally, after cleaning up the mold, the experts check the area thoroughly to ensure that no remaining mold is left behind.
Mold remediation requires professional expertise and experience. If you are looking to remediate a mold problem, then look no further than Kings Restoration.
We have been providing a host of water damage restoration services, such as water extraction, repair of water-related damages, mold remediation, structure drying, and sewage cleanups for the past 20 years.
Trusted by hundreds of our loyal customers, our company has been the foremost mold remediation company in the Dallas-Fort Worth area.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Remove Mold Myself?
Many homeowners try to remove mold from their homes by themselves. It is a risky proposition and is not advisable. The better solution is to seek professional help and engage the services of a mold remediation company.
How is Mold Removed from a Home?
A mold remediation expert will take various precautionary measures before sealing off the work area and will remove the mold-infested debris. They will then use industrial-strength solutions to sanitize the area in order to remove the mold from your home.
How Much Does It Cost to Get Rid of Mold in a House?
In order to kill mold, it is easier to consult a professional, who would carry out an extensive survey of the mold problem and then determine the cost of mold removal. The larger the area and the more complex the problem is, the higher the cost is.
What is the Best Product to Kill Mold?
Mold remediation companies use a variety of industrial strength mold cleaners and products to kill and remove mold. Each one has a specific purpose and use. Some more common mold removal products include:
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Baking soda
- Tea tree oil
- Grapefruit seed extract