home mold can make you sick?

Reasons Why Home Mold Can Make You Sick

Moisture Problems and mold are forms of fungus that consists of small organisms found almost everywhere. They will be black, white, orange, green, or purple. Outdoors, molds play a vital role in nature, breaking down dead leaves, plants, and trees. Molds thrive on moisture and reproduce utilizing little, lightweight spores that travel through the air. You are exposed to mold each day.

In some cases, mold in your home can cause you to be sick, especially if you have allergies or asthma. Thus, water damage restoration is the best solution to get rid of such problems. This blog will inform you about the causes of home mold and how to get rid of it.

What Is the Cause of Mold In The House?

Homes with a higher number of people can be more susceptible to mold growth. This can be from natural humidity and a higher use of water throughout the house.

Any part of your home that gets wet is probably going to be moldy. Check for:

  • Leaks in your roof or plumbing
  • If water is trapped inside your walls or under your carpet, molds may grow there. See if your walls or rugs have light stains or a robust musty smell.
  • Mold in your basement, especially if your basement floods due to rain. Moisture may also seep through your home’s concrete foundation and make the underside of carpets or even within a finished wall.
  • Water damage around your windows or doors to the surface of the house. In winter, moist air can change to water on these cooler surfaces and cause molds to grow.
  • Mold on walls, ceilings, floors, carpets, books, or piles of newspapers. Smell these areas, too; sometimes, a musty smell is your only clue that you have a mold problem. Mold in your home does not always cause health problems. Mold is caused due to water damage and can damage your home and might cause eye, nose, throat, and lung irritation.

How Does Mold in the House Affect You?

Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a spread of health effects or none in any respect. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to molds can result in symptoms like stuffy nose, wheezing, red or itchy eyes, or skin. Some people, like those with allergies to molds or with asthma, may have more intense reactions.

People with allergies could also be more sensitive to molds. People with immune suppression or underlying lung disease are more at risk of fungal infections. Individuals with chronic illness (e.g., a chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, asthma) may experience difficulty breathing. Individuals with immunosuppression are at increased risk for infection from molds.

Read Blog: 7 Things that You Need to Know about Home Mold Removal

What Health Problems Can Mold Cause?

Having mold in your home would not necessarily cause you to be sick. But it does have the potential to cause specific health issues.

Touching or inhaling mold spores can cause allergy-type symptoms such as:

  • runny nose and congestion
  • eye irritation
  • sneezing
  • coughing
  • sore throat
  • skin rash
  • headache
  • lung irritation
  • wheezing

You may be a better risk for complications like infection if you have got conditions such as:

  • allergies
  • asthma
  • chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder (COPD)
  • compromised system
  • cystic fibrosis

In people with asthma, a hypersensitive reaction to mold can trigger an attack. They will need inhalers to manage symptoms.

Exposure to a large amount of mold can cause a more severe reaction. This kind of exposure is sometimes thanks to occupational or workplace hazards instead of mold exposure in your home.

How to Get Rid of Home Mold?

In many cases, you will be able to remediate household mold yourself. Mold is removed with:

  • commercial products
  • soap and water
  • a bleach solution of 8 ounces of bleach per 1 gallon of water

Before you begin:

  • Open any windows.
  • keep a basement dry
  • Wear protective eyewear, nonporous gloves, and a mask or N-95 respirator.
  • Never mix other cleaners or ammonia with bleach because it can create toxic fumes.
  • Use a brush to wash mold off surfaces. Porous materials, like carpeting, furniture, and ceiling tiles, may need to be discarded. Do not paint or caulk until you are sure all the mold is gone.

However, it is always advisable to contact a water restoration specialist for the best results and assured services.


Mold in your home does not always cause health problems. Mold is caused due to water damage and can damage your home and might cause eye, nose, throat, and lung irritation.

If you have a mold allergy or chronic lung condition like asthma, you are in danger of more severe symptoms and complications.

A few home maintenance chores can make it harder for mold to grow indoors. If you happen to possess mold spots in your home, you should contact a professional mold removal company, like Kings Restoration to safely remove mold and make the required repairs.

Share this blog :

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *